miércoles, noviembre 22, 2006

they grow up so fast

so today
my little girl comes home from school
and begins a fully involved conversation
with the words
...
"hey dad...it was funny... at the coffee house today..."
...
and wham
reality hits me right in the face
...
my little girl hangs at the coffee shop with her little friends
like friends the tv show maybe
on their way home from school
boys and girls mixed
...
so the story goes
that tonight
they ordered 6 hot chocolate with whipped cream
and one steamer
seven of them
and she likes that the owner knows them now
...
it's been part of a growing after school trend she started
since the weather has gotten colder
after going there with dad
time after time
and
at $3 apiece for what is arguably the best hot chocolate in town
it's no wonder the owner recognizes my daughter
who does the buisness of ordering
while making loans to
and collecting money from
her peers
using no muscle
just charm i guess
...
it's the foundation of a dirty buisness
but it's working for her
...
god
they grow up so fast
...
sometimes when i'm talking
blah blah blah parent type bullshit
and she knows i know she's not listening
she'll laugh in a patronizing manner and say
"hey...don't interrrupt me while i'm ignoring you"
i find me impressed
and valuing her like it could all be over tomorrow
because she's hardly my little girl anymore
and mark my words
your sass won't be cute for much longer young lady lol
but i respect you fully
big daddy
xo