viernes, julio 17, 2009

parenting with perspective ain't easy

A father
passing by his son's bedroom
was astonished to see that his bed was nicely made and everything was tidy
Then he saw an envelope on the pillow addressed to "Dad"
with great apprehension he opened the letter and read:
-
-Dear Dad:
It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you this note
I had to elope with my new girlfriend
I wanted to avoid a scene with Mom and you.
i've found true love with Stacy
she is so nice
But I knew you would not approve of her
because of all her piercings and tattoos
her tight clothes
and the fact
that she is much much older than I am
and she's pregnant
-
Stacy says that we will be very happy
She owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter
We share a dream of having many more children
-
Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact
that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone
We'll be growing it for ourselves
and trading it with the other people that live nearby
for cocaine and ecstasy
-
In the meantime we will pray
that science will find a cure for AIDS
so Stacy can get better
She deserves it
-
Don't worry Dad.
I'm 15
and I know how to take care of myself now
Someday
I'm sure that we will be back to visit
so that you can get to know your grandchildren
-
Love always,
Your Son John
-
-
PS. Dad, none of the above is true.
I'm over at Tommy's house.
-
I Just wanted to remind you that
there are worse things in life
than a bad Report card
it's in my center desk drawer
-
I love you.
-
-Call me when it's safe to come
home.